Friday, September 16, 2011

My Quest to Get Organized and Get More Stuff Done

I tend to let everything I have to do, all I want to do, and stuff I should do just float idly in my mind.  Since I have an active imagination, there are a lot of such things floating idly around in my mind.  So at the end of most days, I tend to feel like I have left a lot undone. This, in turn, tends to make me feel a little useless, and also tends to lead to the state I wrote about a few days ago (read here).

So, I have recently decided that I need goals. Hard, concrete, measurable, and easy to achieve goals.

My goals as of right now are:




1.     Set said goals
2.     Get organized


I’m still working on the first goal, but I’ve made some progress on the second. 

I have started using the free Evernote app on my iPhone. (Incidentally I love my iPhone, and it’s not because I’m any kind of Apple fanboi. I love my Macbook pro, iMac and iPod Nano too, so there). Moving on…

For those of you unfamiliar with it, Evernote is a web-based service that lets you keep track of practically anything, from webpages, to notes, to recipes, to restaurants, to that really cool sign on that really cool store, and more.  I’ve never really seen the true usefulness in Evernote, despite the fact that many people rave about it. 

Until one evening when I was lying in bed, trying to get to sleep, and an idea regarding this other book that I plan to start writing once I get Protector out the door, struck me.  What I usually do when I get these brilliant ideas at inopportune times, is find a piece of paper and write it down. This is exactly what I did on said evening. (I have a big paranoia that if I don’t write an idea down the second it occurs to me, I will forget it forever.  Though I have found that this does not really happen all that often.)

A few days later, I was cleaning up and came across this piece of paper. And I had no idea what to do with it, since I do not yet have any type of system for collecting ideas for my future book.  So I once again grew very afraid of losing the idea forever. 

That was when I had another brilliant idea.

I could take a snapshot of it with my iPhone, and store it in Evernote.

And that’s just what I did.

I’ve since done with many other loose scraps of paper with my brilliant ideas on it.  Including my idea for this blog post.  See?
As you can also see, my handwriting is really, really bad.

Now if I could just get to those goals…




4 comments:

  1. That's ingenious! Shame I'm a techno-dinosaur :)
    I have so many things to keep track of, I am a devoted "lists" person. Step 1: make a list. Step 2: start working through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Finally got the "followers" thingy to show. Blogger's been bad about that recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing the goals you come up with. I an also going to check out this app

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Botanist Since I spent so much on my iPhone, I have to strive to make as useful as possible. Otherwise it's just too much of a vanity expense ;)

    @Christy One of my goals is to post the rest of my chapters by the beginning of October ;) And Evernote is a fun thing, I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete